Many Partings

7.08.2009


Continuing the Tolkien references, but in a wholly different direction, I got a haircut the other day. I realize now, looking back, that every time I've gotten a haircut -- and I mean every time for the last two decades -- I have had to tell the stylist that no, I actually part my hair on the other side. I part my hair on the right side, which is apparently unusual because every stylist assumes I part it on the other.

When I have my wits nearby I remember to voice this important detail early in the haircutting experience, and the chances of a satisfactory coiffure dramatically spike. When I adopt the pollyannish perspective that my longtime stylist will remember for once which way the part goes, I end up with a haircut that goes the wrong way. You know, it does make a difference.

Now, thanks to my most recent haircut, my hair doesn't quite know which way it should part. I'm trying to decide whether I should let the natural part reassert itself over time or try to adopt the common side approach. Meanwhile, I have both parts, or neither, and look somewhat monkish when I stop paying attention.







<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?